Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is pursuing a Masters worth it in your opinion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is pursuing a Masters worth it in your opinion?

It seems to be pretty up in the air at this point, and dependent on the field. I'm not interested in teaching but the classes I see offered in Masters programs seem so much more interesting than what's available in most undergraduate catalogues.

For reference, I'm pursuing a Bachelors degree in comparative literature currently.

I think that in a subject such as english or literature it would be worth it to get a Masters as it can be tough to find work otherwise in a competitive field like that. However, if you can find a job or internship that would give you great work experience and can find a mentor then I would say you don't need a Masters.

Comment

I've actually been thinking about this for a while. I'm an English major as well, and I've heard conflicting opinions about this. There are quite a few things in your favor, though, if you decide to go for your Masters: higher paying job offers, more experience, opens more doors. A lot of jobs in the English field are wanting applicants with Masters degrees, so why not go for it if you can afford it?

Comment

Definitely. I'm starting my program at ACE and I'm pretty excited. I second what others are saying--yet I'd still do an internship even if you intend on getting a Masters. The more you have on your resume, the merrier.

Comment

thanks, everyone. I'm putting a lot of thought into this, naturally, and am leaning towards applying for some Masters programs

Comment

What sort of masters program do you want to do? There's a wide scope of them: literature, publishing, teaching, general English, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by icypony View Post
              What sort of masters program do you want to do? There's a wide scope of them: literature, publishing, teaching, general English, etc.
              Agreed! There's really more than meets the eye with this degree

Comment

Working...
              X